Wednesday, October 4, 2017

For Women Only?

A small warning before reading ahead. This posting uses direct descriptions of anatomy . If you are uncomfortable talking about private parts, forego this posting.
LOL This is a sure way to get people to read this, isn't it? :)

I recently sought a topical treatment for a yeast/fungal infection for my husband, and was surprised to find there are no over-the-counter treatments for men. Granted, these infections are more common in women so it stands to reason there would be more availability of medication for them. But NONE for men? They get them too, especially men who are confined to a wheelchair. The Pharmacist assured me there was no OTC treatment for a male infection of that sort.

Now I'm not one to take 'no' for answer and I certainly didn't want to truck Jamey and his power chair 40 minutes on down to Kaiser to be told what I already knew, "Your husband has a yeast/fungal infection."

So I looked at all of the OTC treatments to be sure the Pharmacist hadn't missed something. Every one of the remedies was for women. Each included a syringe with a suppository, and a small topical treatment for the itch. Obviously, a suppository would be of no use to a man. When Miconazole Nitrate first came on the consumer
market, we had to fill the included syringes with a cream and then insert them inside us. Those I could have used as a topical treatment for a man since they were in liquid form. But, today's suppository is hard and sphere-shaped; impossible to apply anywhere but the vagina.

The saving grace? There was a small amount of topical solution in the female mediation package. While it is primarily there for the itch, it contains a diluted amount of the medication so I thought it might do the trick. I had my doubts about it being enough, but I applied it at bedtime and we noticed a difference the next day. I applied the rest of the ointment the next night and amazingly, it appears to have gotten rid of the infection! I will contact his doctor and see about putting Jamey on a preventative probiotic that will keep the infections under control. Those of you who are confined to a wheelchair might consider a supplement that heads off these infections as well, especially women in wheelchairs.

I still wish there was a treatment available for the male of the species, but it seems this works in a pinch. It is not an inexpensive way to go, but if you cannot get to the doctor right away, and you KNOW what you're dealing with, this might get you through a day or two. I do not have a license to practice medicine, so please do not take this as a sure way to cure an infection or illness. I'm just sharing what worked for us.

Always ask your doctor before taking any OTC medication.




No comments:

Post a Comment