Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Lifting the Correct Way

As my husband's disease progresses, I am adding more caregiving  tasks to my repertoire. Even though I am a large person, I have trouble lifting and moving my husband who is over 6 feet and 200 pounds. I have the added drawback of numbness in my right side due to a stroke 2 years ago. It's actually quite comical to see the two of us trying to move ourselves through the house!

Today I'm posting some lifting guides, with the caveat that you should always ask your doctor if you are able to do these things before proceeding. You don't want to be lifting your loved one and both of you end up on the floor. It might be a fun romp if your loved one is your spouse, but I don't recommend it--there are other ways to enjoy intimacy!



Adapted from American Medical Association Guide to Home Caregiving, by Angela Perry M.D., Copyright 2001.
(Published by John Wiley and Sons, Inc.) With additional editing by Lauri Dilbeck


No comments:

Post a Comment